Re: possible error

From: Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl(at)not-real.gmx.net>
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 14:30:04 GMT
On Tuesday 19 November 2002 15:05, you wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Stephan Diehl wrote:
> > On Monday 18 November 2002 23:18, you wrote:
> >
> > So, how would I create an empty index? (I really need this as I don't
> > want to resort to placing a dummy file somewhere just that there is a
> > file for indexing).
> > If you mess up your config, you might be doomed anyway.
>
> I guess I don't follow what you are trying to accomplish or why you need
> an empty index.

Basicly, I have some areas in the filesystem that I want index, but I don't
know, if there's something in there (think of an ftp server upload area that
sometimes contains some files but sometimes is cleaned out).

> Can you detect "no files indexed" when indexing then just remove the
> exiting index files?  Then have your CGI (or whatever) script look to see
> if the index exists before searching?

Sure, I can (and will do it). I just wanted to make sure that the behaviour
is more of a feature and not a bug.

> Swish used to report "Index file empty".  Maybe swish-e could properly
> close the .temp files to write a complete index (which it doesn't now) and
> then when you detect this error you can rename the .temp files.

As I said before, I can somehow work around this.
I'm wrapping all of swish-e in a python library at the moment (not the
swish-e library though, this will come later), so, I think of swish-e as a
library to do indexing and searching (and adding/removing a file to an index).
The less surprises swish-e has for me the happier I am.

For now, I'm happy as it is. Later on (if I have some more spare time) I'd
really like to help you to build a swish-e library that has full swish-e
functionality, if you wouldn't mind.

Cheers and thanks again for this piece of software

Stephan