swish.cgi and metaname search in query.

From: Andrew Smith <asmith(at)not-real.compbio.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 01:26:13 GMT
I work in a lab where everyone creates weekly status reports and these are
accessible to everyone in the lab through an internal web site. I'm
setting up a system to index and make searchable these weekly status
reports and I'm using Swish-e and swish.cgi to do it. I've mostly got it
working but there are still some glitches. I have set up some metanames
based on extracted parts of the document paths (using ExtractPath), e.g.,
so users can search by filename, year, month, etc. (these can all be
extracted from the path). Thus, users could enter queries like this:

DNA and username=andrew and year=2002

I am saving the entire contents of the files using StoreDescription so
swish.cgi can highlight search terms and show a small bit of the
surrounding text. This all works fine for searches like above. The problem
is when I do searches using only metanames or where the metaname is first,
e.g.:

username=andrew

username=andrew and year=2002 and DNA

In these cases, there is no highlighting and the entire contents of the
file is shown (i.e., there is no cutoff to 500 characters). I have
made modifications to my swish.cgi file, but the same problem exists
even when I just use swish.cgi in its default configuration. Does
anyone know how I can fix this? I can send my swish.conf file if that
would help.

thanks,

Andrew Smith