Re: Can StoreDescription store <META NAME=Description>

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 16:30:59 GMT
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Greg Fenton wrote:

> I guess I sort of see it from the synopsis:
>   StoreDescription [XML <tag> size|HTML <meta> size|TXT size]
>
> However, nowhere in the description of this option does it discuss what
> tag...
>
> So, my opinion is that it is not clear.

I agree.

A "metaname" is a basic part of swish-e and is defined here:

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/INSTALL.html#META_Tags

and again

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-CONFIG.html#item_MetaNames

and a little here

  http://swish-e.org/current/docs/SWISH-FAQ.html#What_s_the_difference_between_MetaNames_and_PropertyNames_

But the StoreDescription docs say "specify the tag to use" which is
confusing.

The problem (besides our slackers down in the tech writing department) is
that swish started out indexing only html and <meta> was the way to get
meta data into swish (hence "metaname").  Now metaname really is a
specific thing (used for limiting searches) and so you sometimes see the
more generic "metatag" which is inteneded to mean a tag that might be used
as a MetaName or a PropertyName.

Should use the same term everywhere, and maybe just "tag" or "element"
(but that would throw off the <meta name="fooo">.  Oh well...

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org