RE: Index created but search doesnt work

From: Shah, Amar <amar.shah(at)not-real.csfb.com>
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 21:11:35 GMT
I think I reverse engineered and figured out the problem. However, I am not sure how to solve it. Maybe someone can help.
Basically the reason why swish-e was giving me an error result no matter what search string I input was because it does not search through .doc files for some reason. Then I tried to convert the .doc file to .txt format and run the search again and it still wouldnt search it for me. I am guessing that is because the conversion resulted in the addition of some headers that eventually corrupted the data and search was not possible. The third thing i tried was that I cut and pasted all the data from one of my .doc files into a new .txt file and then ran a search command. Guess what...it was successful. However, I have a large number of files and it doesnt make sense to convert each one of them to a .txt format. Does any one know how could I convert the .doc to .txt format just for the purpose of searching. I believe I might have to use FileFilters but does someone have some previous code or something to help clear the fog.

Thanks a lot
Amar

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and private proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each legal entity in the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON or CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT business units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative  only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as  preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.