Re: integrating swish.cgi with apache/mod_perl

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 14:22:30 GMT
At 11:20 PM 10/10/02 -0700, Sundaram Balasubramaninan wrote:
>In the EXAMPLE directory of swish download , we have swish.cgi, which
works fine when fired as a cgi script. By doing so, the webserver will load
the perl interpreter every time when a person wants to search, leading to
more load on webserver.

>How do we optimize the scenario by integrating along with apache
considering this as a primary service to be utilised by website viewers ?.

The swish.cgi script can be run from mod_perl with no modifications to the
script.  Type perldoc swish.cgi in the example directory and read the
section titled "MOD_PERL".

mod_perl will not make swish run any faster since it's still running the
binary.  For best performance run as mod_perl and then use the perl module
SWISHE.pm (in the perl directory) for accessing swish.

Note: I'm in the middle of rewriting the perl interface to swish-e.

mailto:moseley@hank.org