Re: Storing Descriptions from both META and BODY tags

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 14:39:56 GMT
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 Jeffrey.Grunstein@ny.frb.org wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> If I do this, do I still need to a StoreDescription HTML <body> 2500?
> Or will it store both the body and meta_description tags by virtue of the
> PropertyNames directive?

No, you don't need StoreDescription also.

> It seems like StoreDescription and PropertyNames are mutually exclusive, in
> this case.  Right?

StoreDescriptions is really just a shortcut for setting a propertyname.

It was actually created back when all you could say was PropertyNames foo,
before you could alias property names and set their length.  Now, you can
almost do everything that StoreDescription does just using PropertyName*
directives, except make the tags specific to a given parser.

StoreDescription allows you to alias tag(s) to the "swishdescriptions"
property name, set the max length, and also do that on a per-parser basis.

Here's what the docs say:

For example:

    PropertyNamesMaxLength 1000 swishdescription
    PropertyNameAlias swishdescription body

Is somewhat like

    StoreDescription HTML <body> 1000
    StoreDescription XML <body> 1000
    StoreDescription HTML2 <body> 1000
    StoreDescription XML2 <body> 1000

but StoreDescription allows setting the tag for each parser type.

Does that make it clear?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org