Re: specifying 300 directories individually for

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 14:35:43 GMT
At 07:22 AM 10/02/02 -0700, Roy Tennant wrote:
>I need to specify something on the order of 300 separate directories
>for indexing among eventually 1,500, all at the same level in the
>directory structure of my server. Since I can't pass a file of
>directory names to SWISH-E, I need to use the IndexDir directive. This
>leads me to question:

One option would be to make a directory of symlinks to the dirs you want to

>a) If the executable is in the directory above the directories I'm
>indexing, can I not specify the full path? (e.g., "IndexDir 1235"
>instead of " /full/path/to/the/directory/1235")

Yes.

>b) what is the upper limit in line size for a directive? (e.g.,
>"IndexDir dir1 dir2 dir3 dir4....")

MAXSTRLEN which is 2000.  That's just to keep you from making ugly config
files.

>c) is there an upper limit on the number of IndexDir directives I can
>have?

I think that's available RAM.

This seems like a pain to maintain.

How do you know what directories you want to index?  If you can tell
programmatically then maybe use DirTree.pl to select what dirs (e.g. which
files) to index.

mailto:moseley@hank.org