Re: Exploring Swish possibilities

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 11:28:07 GMT
At 12:33 AM 10/01/02 -0700, Kristaps Erglis wrote:
>> What are extents?  Do you mean display a bit of text around the search
>> word to give some context of the hit?
>
>Yes, that is exactly I meant!
>
>> Highlighting example:
>>
>>   http://swish-e.org/Discussion/search/swish.cgi
>
>As far as I get from "swish.cgi" and corresponding "highlighting" modules -
>still I have to store/copy whole file content into index and run script over
>that content. No other way?

You mean pull the content from the reverse index instead of either stored
description or the source document?

The reverse index stores only words, so you would not have punctuation,
html markup or upper case letters.  Also it would be slow.  Theres no way
to say "Fetch all words for document number 321 word positions 20-40."  But
then swish doesn't report back position data when returning results -- that
could be quite a bit of data.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Might be easier to give you an answer
if you describe the problem you are trying to solve.

mailto:moseley@hank.org