Re: problems with Win32 binary release

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 06:27:27 GMT
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 00:42, SRE wrote:
> >>I do have a problem, however, with files like README.txt
> >>*not* actually being a text file.
> >We discussed this a bit.  maybe that can be fixed.

There are many tiny C programs to do the job.

I really need to get the win32 build working under the GCC
cross-compiler.  Microsoft's development environment is such a nuisance
to use.  One has to load up a huge, clunky, slow, buggy GUI just to run
an XML "makefile" that calls a bunch of command line programs in
_precisely_ the same way as "make" and a Makefile on Unix.  Not to
mention having to deal with Windows to use it.  This is all so simple to
automate on Unix.  Much of the inconsistency between Win32 releases is
because it's almost entirely a manual process.  Not being able to
interconnect all these disconnected steps in the release process is a
real pain.

> It would
> require Perl, but that's gonna have to be there to use Swish-e.
> (But I bet it's not assumed during the install...)

Not really.  In theory, one can use SWISH-E without PERL.  But, IMO,
that really negates much of the usefulness of SWISH-E.

> Absolutely. Again, I'm not trying to be a whiner even if I sound
> that way. I'm flopping feedback out there in case it's useful.

Feedback is always useful.

> My whole reason for diving into the Windoze port was to test locally
> and perhaps generate some index files here with the spider. In the
> end I think it will be easier to do it all thru a CGI script on Unix.

Yes, once you install a Unix environment on Windows it becomes
remarkably usable.  ;-)

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://home.webaugur.com/