How to Get Help

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:05:31 GMT
Here's some tips to make it faster to get an answer (and easier for people
to offer help):

There's been a number of changes in swish over the last year and a half
(since 2.0.5) so please look at the CHANGES page.

Before posting a question please read:

 http://swish-e.org/current/docs/INSTALL.html#QUESTIONS_AND_TROUBLESHOOTING

- Send questions to the list, not to specific developers.

- If you have any problems building swish it's very important to know what
platform you are running.  And of course output from the build process.

- If you are unable to search for words that you know are in your files,
then the trick is to index a single test file using -T indexed_words option
and see how swish is indexing words.  Using -T help will print other
debugging options.

- If you have a segfault or some other weird behavior that isn't explained
by using the "-T indexed_words" command line option then it's very
important that you provide test document(s) that cause the problem.  Please
make available a small (the smallest) example of source docs that cause the
problem, config files, and exact commands you ran (cut-n-paste, please).
We have tested swish-e on many platforms with a reasonably large collection
of various documents, but it's impossible to test every possible
combination of documents.

If I see a message that provides all that, and I can duplicate the problem
then it's likely that the problem will get solved quickly.

Thanks,
mailto:moseley@hank.org