Re: unexpected (and bad) results from ./configure

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 01:25:50 GMT
At 06:11 PM 09/18/02 -0700, SRE wrote:
>1. what would cause "unexpected operator" in the transcript?
>   (I figure it's a typo but I'm not sure where to look)

Not sure about that.  When I looked before google had lots of posts about
that message.

>2. is "setenv HOME xxx" required?
>   (it looks like "cd" is called with no args, not sure why)

Probably need to set HOME if you are not logged in (as in running via a CGI
script)

>3. does configure presume the right to chown and chgrp ?
>   (or is "mv" suggesting that I should?) If so, why?

I see that on other BSD systems.

>4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, ./configure seems to have crashed!
>   (no exit message, the transcript just ends)

Hum, not sure. I think that's the end.  What's the command are you running?

  ./configure && make

or

  ./configure; make

Is it possible you don't have write access to that directory?  Is the web
server running suexec so that cgi scripts run as you instead of "nobody"?

>------------------
>
>./configure
>[snip]
>checking for xml2-config... no
>Not building with libxml2 - use --with-libxml2 to enable
>test: ==: unexpected operator
>checking zlib.h usability... yes
>checking zlib.h presence... yes
>checking for zlib.h... yes
>checking for gzread in -lz... yes
>configure: creating ./config.status
>cd: HOME not set
>config.status: creating Makefile
>mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating doc/Makefile
>mv: doc/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating src/Makefile
>mv: src/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>config.status: creating src/acconfig.h
>mv: src/acconfig.h: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
>[end of transcript]

That's what I get:

config.status: creating Makefile
mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
mv: doc/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating src/Makefile
mv: src/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1357/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating src/acconfig.h
config.status: src/acconfig.h is unchanged

mailto:moseley@hank.org