unexpected (and bad) results from ./configure

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 01:11:46 GMT
It looks like a couple of assumptions are made in configure
that aren't true on my system... and I don't know whether
they are significant. Perhaps someone can comment?? My
transcript is pasted below.

1. what would cause "unexpected operator" in the transcript?
   (I figure it's a typo but I'm not sure where to look)

2. is "setenv HOME xxx" required?
   (it looks like "cd" is called with no args, not sure why)

3. does configure presume the right to chown and chgrp ?
   (or is "mv" suggesting that I should?) If so, why?

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, ./configure seems to have crashed!
   (no exit message, the transcript just ends)

------------------

./configure
[snip]
checking for xml2-config... no
Not building with libxml2 - use --with-libxml2 to enable
test: ==: unexpected operator
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for gzread in -lz... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
cd: HOME not set
config.status: creating Makefile
mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
mv: doc/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating src/Makefile
mv: src/Makefile: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
config.status: creating src/acconfig.h
mv: src/acconfig.h: set owner/group (was: 35/0): Operation not permitted
[end of transcript]