Re: ANNOUNCE: Swish-e version 2.2 available

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:39:58 GMT
At 07:40 AM 09/18/02 -0700, SRE wrote:
>At 07:14 AM 9/18/02, Bill Moseley wrote:
>>Swish-e version 2.2 source package and Windows binary package is now
>>available on the Swish-e Download page:  http://swish-e.org/Download
>
>Great timing! My web server just got upgraded to a new FreeBSD OS
>and Perl 5.8, and swish is DOA. I need to work on it, so I'll just
>upgrade at the same time.
>
>The problem is that I don't have access to the same OS and Perl
>version anywhere other than the web server, and I don't have
>command line access to the server for doing a build.

Time to get a new ISP?

>How does one work around THAT? I can install, I can run,
>but I can't compile. Has anyone tried constructing a CGI
>script that forks to compile? Ugly! Is there another way?

That's what I've seen people do, which is why I think it is so silly to not
allow shell access -- people end up writing CGI script to give shell access
over the web and that far less secure than giving shell access.  I've seen
people do things like:

   system( $cgi->param('command') );

It's just really hard to use a web server for anything besides static pages
if you don't have shell access.  I even find it hard when ISPs allow shell
access yet disable things like top, ps, netstat, and traceroute.

I can build swish-e on FreeBSD 4.6 and email you the binary, but I think
that's a segfault waiting to happen -- swish needs to link to run-time
libraries.

It would be cool if someone could build a FreeBSD port (package) for swish-e.

mailto:moseley@hank.org