Re: Problems with quotes on NT

From: Bertus Douma <BDOUMA(at)>
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 14:39:46 GMT
Hi Bill,

Thxs for your reaction. We've don't have a linux-box here on our
school. And the glits itn't new: I've tried at the and of 2001 also to
get this problem solved. But want to have it solved now because all the
pdf and doc aren't include in the indexfile: to give you an idea:
on the server the indexfile is:
index.swish 5.741 KB SWISH File 13-9-2002 7:18 and on my test-mirror
index.swish 7.341 KB SWISH File 13-9-2002 15:14

I'll go of for my weekend; and hope Dave wil tell something more.

Greetings Bertus

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Bertus Douma wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am using swishe on our intranet of a highschool; but having a
> problem: indexing of pdf and doc files doesn't work.
> Whats the case: using catdoc and xpdf the following happens: the
> filename (as parameter passed to the batchfile) does have two quotes
> each side. So looking for a file called 'filename.pdf' doesnt
> Also with .doc file is there something wrong because the message
> argument appears.
> The operational machines uses NT4.0 with Apache/1.3.12 (Win32) and
> test-site W2K with Apache/1.3.20. Does anyone know a quick fix for
> I've tried to substring it (see below) but that doesnt work.

Dave you want to reply to this? ;)

Try specifying in your Filefilter command something like:

FileFilter .pdf pdf2text '"%p %P"'

Check the docs for the correct syntax.

Dave can give details, but I think it is basically that NT's
stinks.  Try using a different shell -- bash is a good one.

I don't have NT -- works fine on my Win98 machine -- but Dave has seen
this problem on NT before.

Dave, is it possible that swish doesn't see it's running under NT and
using single quotes?

Do you have a linux machine at your school?

Bill Moseley