Re: Help with Mac OS X install

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 13:44:17 GMT
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Michael P. Monan wrote:

> >That's probably the wrong thing to do, but it will probably stay that way
> >until I can get time to add a configure script to check for the correct
> >library location.   In general, seems that you would want to link against
> >the code that came with the distribution that includes the perl module.
> >

> Bill, I'm not sure what you mean here... Is this something that I'm
> doing or have done incorrectly in my setup?   Because it's not just a
> Swish-E thing; I see it happening when I compile other programs as
> well...

You mean the warning that says:

  cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory

Sorry, I tend to ramble.  No, it's nothing that you are doing wrong in
your setup.  The warning messages are normal and expected.

I was just wondering if *I'm* doing the right thing.

When you build the SWISHE module it links the compiled xs code with the
swish-e library into a loadable module (.so) that perl can load at run
time (by calling dlopen() ).  When you build the module it has to know
where to find the swish library.  Typically, the library would be an
installed library in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, but I have the SWISHE.pm
Makefile.PL setup to look first in ../src so that it links with the
freshly built swish-e library instead of (perhaps out of date) library in
/usr/local/lib.

Swish just builds a static library, but some day it will build a shared
library (.so).  Then when building the SWISHE Perl module instead of
linking in the actual code it will link in a path to the shared library.
If that's pointing to ../src (which is the build directory) then if the
build directory is removed the path to the library will be invalid and
your programs that use the SWISHE module will stop working.

But I'm rambling again.

So what do you see when compiling other programs?  The above warning?

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org