Re: SWISHE.pm and SwishOpen errors

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 23:17:35 GMT
If you are using the SWISHE.pm perl module read on...

At 04:13 PM 08/21/02 -0700, Daniel E. Weber wrote:
>During debugging of a script that uses SWISHE.pm, I encountered the
>following problem. The code:
>
>>my $handle = SwishOpen( "indexfile" ) or die "CRUD!\n";

Well, I added a new function called SwishInit() that works just like
SwishOpen() but always returns a swish handle.  Then errors can be checked
against that handle.  I tried to clean up all the "progerr" calls that
might cause your program using the Swish-e library to exit.  They should
all be trapped.

See the src/libtest.c file for examples.

I have not had time to implement this for the Perl module yet.  I hope to
get that done soon.

This will change the interface a bit in the perl module.

Another change is with SwishErrorString().  Previously, you had to do:

   my $err_msg = SwishErrorString( SwishError( $handle) );

That is better simply as:

   my $err_msg = SwishErrorString( $handle );

But that's a change in the interface.

Will that change cause anyone too much pain?

mailto:moseley@hank.org