Re: Help with dates

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 16:20:34 GMT
At 08:19 AM 08/20/02 -0700, David VanHook wrote:
>Wow, just finished installing the latest dev version of SWISH-E -- it's
>outstanding.  I'm very impressed.  It's going to do everything we need.

That's great.  We always need help with errors in the docs so let us know
anything you find that's wrong or unclear.

>Got a couple of questions about dates, though.  Need to make date range
>filtering an option on the search, but not with the swishlastmodified value,
>unfortunately.  So I was going to create a metaname called Date which would
>look like
>
><META NAME="date" CONTENT="08/20/2002">
>
>My questions are:
>
>1) Is there a particular format I should be using for these dates in the
>metatags, so that I can use swish.cgi to search across the dates?

Yes, swish can't parse dates.  The values should be a timestamp (seconds
since the Epoch).

So you have three choices:

1) modify your source docs to have a time stamp
2) use a filter to parse and rewrite your docs
3) use -S prog and write a program to fetch and parse your docs and convert
the dates.

A filter is easier to write, but -S prog is faster.  There's a few examples
of how to fetch docs in the prog-bin directory.

>2) I'm using the swish.cgi which was included with the download -- and the
>search page right now is not showing me any of the date range choices.  I'm
>looking at it, and I'm not sure whether I need to do something to "turn it
>on", or whether maybe I just didn't install the DateRanges.pm module right.
>The Highlight modules are all working ok, so I think the install was right,
>but I'm not sure.  Or is there some other way I need to turn on the
>date_range?  Here's the code from the config section of swish.cgi:

You might need to install the Date::Calc module.  That would prevent the
DateRanges module from being loaded.  You should have seen an error message
as such in the web server log.

HTH

mailto:moseley@hank.org