RE: segfaults solved on Solaris 2.5 and 2.6

From: Thomas M. Parris <parris(at)not-real.isciences.com>
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 15:14:33 GMT

--> I did use ldd, it showed that I was linking to /usr/local/lib/libz.so
--> This must of been hanging around from an old install and was probably
causing problems.

> Why is it important to build zlib as a shared library?

--> This was important for me because I wanted shared library and it helped
me verify where the files came from.
--> I probably could have used libz.a and gotten the same results.

> Below you run make as ./make -- are you really running it
> that way?  That
> is, do you have a copy of make in those build directories?

--> Ugh.  That's a typo.  It should read ...

3. rebuilt zlib 1.1.4 as a shared library
	./configure -s (the -s is important)
	make
	make test  (they passed)
	make install

4. rebuilt and installed libxml2
	./configure
	make
	make tests (they passed)
	make install

5. rebuilt and installed swish
	./configure
	make
	make test (they passed)
	make install

> At 10:07 AM 08/13/02 -0400, Thomas M. Parris wrote:
> >Dear SWISHers:
> >
> >With Bill's generous help, I have managed to solve the
> problem I was having
> >with segfaults on Solaris 2.5 and 2.6.  The source of the
> problem was a bad
> >link to </usr/local/lib/libz.so>.  To fix the problem, I did
> the following:
> >
> >1. made sure I was using the Solaris ld (/usr/ccs/bin/ld)
> instead of the GNU
> >ld (/usr/local/bin/ld).
> >
> >2. cleaned all libz's out of /usr/local/lib (rm /usr/local/lib/libz*)
> >
> >3. rebuilt zlib 1.1.4 as a shared library
> >	./configure -s (the -s is important)
> >	./make
> >	./make test  (they passed)
> >	./make install