vsnprintf on Solaris 2.5

From: Thomas M. Parris <parris(at)not-real.isciences.com>
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 20:26:35 GMT
Dear SWISHers:

It a long story, but I'm trying to build
swish-e-2.1-dev-25-2002-08-05.tar.gz on Solaris 2.5.  The ./configure script
checks to see if it can find vsnprintf (and reports it cannot), but then I
get build errors.  At first, I thought this was an error in the autoconf
generation of the Makefile, and I simply removed vsnprintf.o from the
UTIL_OBJS tatget.  But, it appears that parser.c still wants it, because now
I get the error at link time:

gcc -o
swish-e -Wall -pedantic -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSWISH_VERSION=\"2.1-dev-25\" -Iexp
at/xmltok -Iexpat/xmlparse -I/usr/local/include/l
ibxml2  -g -O2  swish.o keychar_out.o

   libswish-e.a -lm -lm  -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib -lxml2 -lz -licon
v -lm -lsocket -lnsl -lz
vsnprintf                           libswish-e.a(error.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to swish-e
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm thinking you must have a vsnprintf.c in the source tree somewhere, but
that it is not getting pulled as  part of the daily snpashot.  Can you tell
me how to get it?

OS: Solaris 2.5 (you'll probably tell me its about time to ubgrade, and it
is.  We're builsing a 2.8 machine as we speak, but I still need to get this
going on 2.5).

gcc: gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

FYI ... I've included some of the other compiler warnings.

-- Tom

	# warnings from btree
	-O2 -c -o btree.o btree.c
	In file included from btree.c:104:
	btree.h:19: warning: ANSI C forbids zero-size array `data'
	btree.c: In function `BTREE_Walk':
	btree.c:636: warning: pointer targets in passing arg 6 of
`BTREE_GetKeyFromPage' differ in signedness
	btree.c: In function `BTREE_Search':
	btree.c:901: warning: pointer targets in passing arg 6 of
`BTREE_GetKeyFromPage' differ in signedness
	btree.c:908: warning: pointer targets in passing arg 6 of
`BTREE_GetKeyFromPage' differ in signedness

	# warnings from array.c
	-O2 -c -o array.o array.c
	In file included from array.c:117:
	array.h:14: warning: ANSI C forbids zero-size array `data'

	# warnings from file.c
	-O2 -c -o file.o file.c
	file.c: In function `create_tempfile':
	file.c:509: warning: implicit declaration of function `mkstemp'

	# problem with missing vsnprintf.o
	-O2 -c -o parser.o parser.c
	parser.c: In function `error':
	parser.c:1634: warning: implicit declaration of function `vsnprintf'

	# more problems with vsnprintf.o
	ar cr libswish-e.a fs.o http.o httpserver.o extprog.o methods.o html.o
txt.o xml.o expat/xmltok/xmltok.o 	expat/xmltok/xmlrole.o
expat/xmlparse/xmlparse.o entities.o parser.o index.o merge.o stemmer.o
soundex.o 	filter.o parse_conffile.o swregex.o swish2.o search.o
	swish_words.o proplimit.o search_alt.o result_output.o rank.o hash.o
compress.o db.o db_native.o 	ramdisk.o btree.o array.o check.o file.o
error.o list.o mem.o string.o docprop.o metanames.o 	result_sort.o dump.o
swish_qsort.o  date_time.o no_better_place_module.o
	vsnprintf.o
	ar: vsnprintf.o: No such file or directory

	# SOLUTION: edited Makefile and removed vsnprintf.o from UTIL_OBJS target
	# should be safe since the ./configure script indicates a test to see if os
libs have vsnprintf
	# probably just an error in the Makefile generation.

Thomas M. Parris
Research Scientist & Executive Director, Boston Office
ISCIENCES, LLC
685 Centre Street, Suite 207
Jamaica Plain, MA  02130
voice: 617.524.8041          http://www.isciences.com/