Re: feature request: Wildcard at the beginning of a

From: Bernhard Weisshuhn <bkw(at)not-real.weisshuhn.de>
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 08:17:26 GMT
Hi *,

nice to see the subject of left hand side wildcards brought up again,
which is the only important feature swish-e is lacking for me.

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:55:43AM -0700, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:

> But you can probably create this a number of ways.  One easy way is to just
> create a long string of all your part numbers, with some type of delimiter
> between them.  Then just do a substring search and then extract out the
> full part number.  You could even apply regular expressions in this way to
> do rather complex "searches".  My guess is it would be reasonably fast, too.

That's how I do it now. I have a preprocessor in perl that creates
monstrous ORed querys for this. But it's butt ugly and I always feel
like I'm abusing our wonderfull little swish-e...

> That works well for something like part names or titles.  It won't work
> well for full text, of course, but who searches for all words that end in
> "*ing"?

In german - and I guess in many other languages too - you have a lot
of compound words (is that the right term?), something like
"Stackenblokkenquiz", and people want to find that when only looking for
'quiz'.

Wouldn't it be possible to to "just" (heh!) index reversed words and then
also reverse the left-masked words in the query? Somthing like this,
you get the idea....

regards,
bkw