Re: feature request: Wildcard at the beginning of a

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 07:55:47 GMT
At 12:37 AM 08/08/02 -0700, S. W. Worgull wrote:
>it would be a nice feature to use the wildcard at the beginning of a word
>in a query (optional). I'm using swish-e to index PDF documents including
>part numbers, my users are not pleased that there is no possibility to
>search for a partial numbers using the wildcard at the beginning of the
>search query.

Not likely in swish due to the way the index works.

But you can probably create this a number of ways.  One easy way is to just
create a long string of all your part numbers, with some type of delimiter
between them.  Then just do a substring search and then extract out the
full part number.  You could even apply regular expressions in this way to
do rather complex "searches".  My guess is it would be reasonably fast, too.

That works well for something like part names or titles.  It won't work
well for full text, of course, but who searches for all words that end in
"*ing"?

http://search.cpan.org uses this technique.  Try, for example:

  http://search-beta.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=er

mailto:moseley@hank.org