Re: Swish-e, libxml2, and slackware

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 13:55:14 GMT
On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 Erik.Pugh@bpd.treas.gov wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting swish-e to run (at all) on Slackware with
> libxml2.

I would have thought that both of those packages were installed in
Slackware.  Regradless, you probably don't need to install from source if
you have permissions to install Slackware packages.

(although I'm a big fan of building from source...)

> I install libxml2 2.4.5 the normal way, accepting the defaults,

BTW - I think the current version is something like 2.4.23 now.

> then
> install zlib 1.1.4 with default options, and then install swish-e using
> the
> following configure line:
>
> ./configure --with-libxml2=/usr/local --with-zlib=/usr/local

You shouldn't need to do that.  For libxml2, ./configure runs a program
called xml2-config to find the installed paths for use when building
swish.

> The configure script finds libxml2, and finds zlib, I make it, then make
> test, and make test fails
> because the swish-e binary that was built says it cannot find the
> libxml2.so.2 file.

Perhaps you need to run ldconfig to rebuild the library cache?

I just installed libxml to a local directory the other day, and added my
local bin directory to the path.  ./configure found the correct paths, but
I still needed to run make like:

   LD_RUN_PATH=$HOME/local/lib make

So you could try that, but it's odd that the loader isn't finding libxml2
library files.

> I've also run /sbin/ldconfig to update the shared object files.

Ok, well, then I'm out of ideas.

Did you try this:

 > /sbin/ldconfig -p | grep libxml2
        libxml2.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so.2
        libxml2.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libxml2.so

Please post when you figure out the problem.  Good info for the docs and
archive.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org