RE: Failed close on pipe/Out of memory during requests?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 23:12:48 GMT
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Don Fike wrote:

> I noticed I had a hundred or so Apache processes running.
> I stopped and started Apache and the swishe/pdf2html/pdfinfo errors that
> were occurring went away.  I'm happy things are working but still not sure
> what was going on.  This was my last error before restarting Apache;
>
> err: Ran out of memory (could not allocate 262144 more bytes)!
>
> Do you think I ran out of Apache processes?

Not sure.  How big are your Apache processes?  If you have MaxClients too
high (i.e. if all MaxClients are running and they use more than available
RAM) then you will have a problem.

With delay_min small the server is hit often, and Apache will starts
forking to handle the load.  So you need to limit either by the delay_min
setting or limiting MaxClients.

Also, using the KeepAlive feature should help, but that's only available
in current LWP versions.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org