Re: getting started with Swish-E

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 17:47:15 GMT
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 shamskhanmalik@talk21.com wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> I have three questions regarding Swish-E,
>
> 1) I wish to download 2.0.5 of Swish-E for use on a UNIX server, but
> am not sure which one to download from http://swish-e.org/Download/ :
>

> swish-e-2.0.5.tar.gz

That would be the best guess.  But I'd recommend using 2.1-dev if just
starting out.

> 2) Where can I download the C & C++ compilers that I can use to compile Swish-E.

gcc is probably what you want.  But the configure script should figure
that out when it's run.

> 3) Looking at the documentation, the installation looks to be quite
> complicated.  Is it true that once I get Swish-E working I can create
> a Search Engine (i.e. HTML input form) on a HTML page to search
> through directories of HTML pages. ?

Installation should not be hard.

   ./configure && make install

would probably install in one line.

Setup to index and search requires a bit more work.  Indexing is not hard,
but what you use on the front-end (such as a web CGI script) will take
more work.  There's an example CGI script in the example directory of the
2.1-dev distribution.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org