Re: documentation on results page formatting?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 23:14:04 GMT
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Avi Rappoport wrote:

Hi Avi,

> I can't find anything on templates or output anywhere on the site
> except cryptic references in the discussion archives.  There's
> nothing at all that I can find in the documentation or the FAQ (maybe
> it used to be there?), and it's quite frustrating.

Swish's output can be controlled with the -x switch.  See the SWISH-RUN
man page or on the swish-e.org site.

> I did eventually
> gather that I need to install  the Template Toolkit and if anyone can
> tell me where it is in fink, that would be very helpful.

Oh, you mean the output from the example/swish.cgi script?  Type perldoc
example/swish.cgi from the top-level directory and look for the first FAQ.

You don't need to install template toolkit (template-toolkit.org or
tt2.org).  The swish.cgi script can be configured to used different output
models.  It can use perl to generate the output, HTML::Template or
Template-Toolkit. Those were just three examples provided with that script
(and happen to be common methods used with Perl).  You do not need to use
the templating systems if you don't want to.

If you have a web site built with Template Toolkit then you can use the
included Template Toolkit interface module with swish.cgi to use your
existing templates to format the output.  An example is
http://perl.apache.org, which uses TT to generate the static site, and
swish.cgi uses the same templates to generate results in the sites look.
The mod_perl site is running swish.cgi basically unmodified from the
version in the swish-e distribution.

> I'm volunteering to write some instructions if I can ever figure it out.

Some info is provided in the swish.cgi script (perldoc example/swish.cgi),
but the templating systems have their own docs once they are installed --
i.e. perldoc HTML::Template and perldoc Template.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org