Re: joy? swish-e segfault

From: Michael <michael(at)not-real.insulin-pumpers.org>
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 17:20:08 GMT
> On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 22:35, Michael Robinton wrote:
> > It looks to me like the merge in 2.1 might be slower than 2.05. I'm
> > merging 30.2 megs and 1.3 megs and seeing about a 95 minute run time on
> > 500mhz celeron linux2.4x with 500megs of memory. Maximum merge size is
> > about 200 megs at the end.
>
> Merge has been fairly well ignored in recent updates.  I think Bill
> pointed out a few weeks ago that it's actually much faster to
> reindex the entire site than to to merge several smaller index
> files.  I think merge might get more attention once incremental
> indexing is supported.
>
> > 2.05 seemed to run faster? but took a lot more memory.
>
> How much faster?  Under most conditions 2.1 is considerably faster
> than older versions.

umm.... only subjective opinion at this point, I've taken it off the
system (production). The 2.1 indexes are clearly faster, but the
merges are slower than 2.05 -- hard to say quantitatively now. My
guess is around 2:1 for files as above at least. I used to be able to
merge the whole thing in a day or two but based on the benchmark of
above, it would take 80-100 hrs or more.