Re: Merging indexes

From: CBol <craf(at)not-real.bol.com.br>
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 18:06:08 GMT
> How about for now when searching you do:
>
>     ./swish-e -w $query -f index1 index2 index3 ...

 It's what I'm doing. My concern is what may happen over time, when I feed
 more and more files to the search engine, one more index each month.
 OK, I may reindex all from time to time, but I will be more a more elegant
 solution if I can sum the indexes.

> Merge does not work well in 2.1-dev version, and is a current topic of the
> developers.  It uses way too much memory.

 What then? Memory is very inexpensive today. My index is 15 MBytes in size,
 well below the memory I have available in my machine (256M).

> Hopefully it will improve in the next month.  What you really need is
> incremental indexing.
>
> 17 hours is a long time for indexing.  How many files were you indexing?

Circa 10000, and I 'm not enough fluent in Perl to edit the scripts and use
 the prog feature. ;-(