Re: Mod_perl and Swish-e conflict

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:19:15 GMT
On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:11:22 -0700 (PDT) David Vermooten wrote:

>     [Tue Apr 30 08:19:30 2002] [notice] child pid 20270 exit signal
> Segmentation fault (11)
> whenever a search is run.
>
> The problem appears to occur at the point that the module calls
> "SwishSearch" which is implemented in the code SWISHE.c.  If the string
> is passed in which indicates that it should sort by relevance (i.e. '' -
> a null string enclosed by single quotes) it seg-faults right there.  If
> I put any value into the $sort string though (i.e. 'title asc' or even '
> ') it consistantly provides the results that there are 0 results
> applicable and then it almost instantly seg-faults when it hits the call
> to SwishNext.

I haven't tried this, but I guess if you wanted to track it down try
running Apache under gdb with Apache's -X option.  That would give more
detail about where in swish it's catching the segfault.  That's something
I can look at in a few days, if you can send me a small index file and
your config setup.

I'd also be very interested to hear your experiences with mod_perl
and swish.  I found that embedding swish into Apache ended up using
a lot more RAM, but when I tested using Apache Benchmark (ab) I didn't
see that many more requests per second vs running swish as an external
program (forking Apache and running swish).