Re: Quick question

From: SRE <eckert(at)not-real.climber.org>
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 17:47:37 GMT
At 10:22 AM 4/11/02, Bill Moseley wrote:
>"I'm using 2.2 and it does this weird thing."  Response: "Yes,
>that's fixed.  Use 2.3-dev."

With some software, "released" means "supported", and that
means most bugs will be fixed in the released version WITHOUT
requiring an upgrade. Upgrades are scary, especially from a
released to a development version.

>Really, each release is just another snapshot in
>the development of the program.

If I'm hearing you right, there will NEVER be a bug fix in ANY
released version. That's a problem. It means there is NO stable
or true released version.... correct me if I'm wrong!

>For small open source user-supported programs like swish I wonder if the
>system of "releases" is out-dated.

Perhaps. It depends if the changes between versions are so
large that you can't fold a bug fix back into the prior version.
Is that the case?

SRE

mailto:eckert(at)not-real.climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.