Re: cross-platform compatible indexes

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 09:04:21 GMT
At 09:11 PM 03/21/02 -0800, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

>What can I do to insure the indexes I create are cross-platform compatible?

I assume you didn't FTP the indexes in ASCII mode.  A more likely
explanation is that the two versions of swish (windows and unix) are enough
out of date that the index file format changed.

I just indexed files on Windows, copied the files to Linux and could search
without any problem.

There should be a new Windows version out very soon.

>  % swish-e -w article  -f osti.idx
>  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-25
>  # Search words: article
>  err: Rank is not defined as an auto property
>
>What is an "auto property", and what can I do to make sure the indexes I
>create on one host are compatible with the searching mechanism on another
>host?

Auto properties are properties created by swish and are automatically
defined (such as the rank, last modified date, path).  The property info is
stored in the header, so that version is probably just looking in the wrong
part of the header for the property tables.

mailto:moseley@hank.org