Re: nested properties introduce spaces

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 19:38:11 GMT
On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 14:15, Bill Moseley wrote:
> <name>
> <name>
> PropertyNames name

I think I would consider the above markup as a continuous string
"billmoseley" since first and last properties have no white space
between.  The markup itself should be invisible.

And, one more note.  HTML specs state that one should not rely on
trailing and leading whitespace to remain intact within an element.  I'm
sure this reccomendation would go along with XML, as well.  The only
white space one can rely upon is that outside the element or between
meaningful chars.

That said, I would also interpret this:

as the string "billmoseley"

While I would interpret:

Or:
    <first>bill</first>
    <last> moseley</last>

as the string "bill moseley"

Someone _please_ correct me if I'm crazy.  ;-)

> So, what's the correct behavior?

I think that adding spaces where they didn't exist in the source is
probably incorrect.  There might be a more complex "correct behavior" in
some situations, though.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche