meta names not included in swishdefault?

From: Fred Toth <ftoth(at)not-real.synernet.com>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 02:04:16 GMT
Hi all,

I'm just getting started with swish-e, and I have to say that I'm very
impressed.
It's working very well, the documentation is excellent and I'm really happy
about the price tag!

However, I do have a question or 2:

It appears that when meta names are defined ("author" for example), the data
accumulated for the "author" meta name is no longer included in the default
meta name "swishdefault". Is this correct?

Meaning, if I have <author>smith</author> somewhere in my input, and I search:

	swish-e -w author=smith

I get a hit. This is good. However, if I search:

	swish-e -w smith

I don't get a hit, since, presumably, "smith" does not exist in "swishdefault".

So, to my questions: Is there any way to change this? I'd like "swishdefault"
to be the "full text" of the input, including any and all meta names. Is this
possible? If so, how do I express that in the configuration?

If not, then what's the best way to work around this? I can imagine that a
generic,
"full text" query would then have to look something like:

	swish-e -w 'smith or author=smith'

However, this could get very cumbersome if there are a lot of meta names:

	swish-e -w 'smith or author=smith or abstract=smith or keywords=smith'
(etc. etc.)

Another thing I thought of was to have 2 indexes. One has all my meta names
defined,
and the other has none. A full text query then queries the index with no
meta names.
Any other field specific query goes against the meta name index.

Any recommendations or advice on this situation?

Many thanks,

Fred Toth
ftoth@synernet.com