Re: swish-e-2.1-dev-25 core-dumps; sparc64-linux, glibc2,

From: David L Norris <dave(at)>
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 03:10:02 GMT
On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 20:31, Eric T. Jorgensen wrote:
> --- SIGBUS (Bus error) ---
> +++ killed by SIGBUS +++
> -----

One of several things:

  1. You have bad RAM or a flaky memory/CPU bus.

  2. You are running out of RAM (quite possible).  Linux generates a
SIGBUS (and kills) on an out of RAM condition (rather than allowing
malloc() to return a failure code possibly blowing up the program
without explanation).  Try running your tests on a small subset of
documents.  (Or were you already?)

  3. SWISH-E could be reading a memory address but isn't aligned along
it's boundry.  SPARC-Linux has some unique issues because it requires
aligned memory access.  I've not had to deal with this.  But, I suspect
maybe someone on the list has.

 David Norris
  Dave's Web -
  Augury Net -
  ICQ Universal Internet Number - 412039
  E-Mail -

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche