Re: Problems with spider.pl on windows 98 SE (Win2k Test)

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 23:45:12 GMT
On Wed, 2002-02-13 at 18:24, Bill Moseley wrote:
> So it looks like Win 98 works.  Win 98 SE (I thought the "E" was for eggs)
> and Win ME don't work.  Maybe those were "downgraded" so that those users
> would have to upgrade to 2k.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.  I have Windows 98 SE here
somewhere.  I also have Windows Me.  I may install them on a VM and do
some testing.

Windows 98 SE and Me are variously broken.  MS backported a bunch of NT
technology to both systems.  So, it wouldn't surprise me that some of
the POSIX-like stuff quit working.  No one would ever notice, anyway.
Err...

> I wonder where XP fits in to all this.

Well, unless some kind soul tests it or donates a copy we may never
know.  ;-)  I'd suspect it should work just like Windows 2000, though.

> I just got the swish.cgi script "working" on windows (well, at least
> win98), but I need a HUGE disclaimer that it may be a security risk running
> it on Windows.

Good idea.  There's no way anything on Win 9x can be considered
"secure".  Even worse on NT/2000/XP.  IIS runs, in kernel space, under
the System account.  Which essentially grants it more priveleges than
even the Administrator at a local console.

> What is Windows and why does it keep following me?

Windows is a fun, exciting and quite unpredictable hobby.  Some poor
souls also deem it as a career.  I see it more as something to look
through and wash occasionally.

--
 David Norris
  Augury Net - http://augur.homeip.net/

  "If you stare into an abyss long enough
   it begins to stare back into you."  --Nietzsche