Re: Getting a Web Page to have a higher ranking

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 18:28:31 GMT
At 10:17 AM 02/08/02 -0800, Gerald Klaas wrote:
>To Chris, the way I handle this is to create a Meta tag name="topicno"
>and every page has up to 3 assigned topic numbers.  The CGI sorts
>the swish results by topicno.  This wouldn't work well for large
>data sets, as the CGI has to fetch all of the records in order to sort
>them.  I have the number limited to 1300 by the existance of a second
>META tag on "important" pages.  In my CGI, if this search for
>"important"
>pages returns zero results, it then passes the query to the general
>query (doesn't have to have a topicno META tag)

That's a good idea.  The "rank" number would be messed up, but you do add a
meta tag to every document with a number, where most have a number of, say
5 and then for docs you want to always "rank" higher set them to a lower
number.

Here's the details:

in config:

    PropertyNamesNumeric category

Then when you run the query:

      -w $query -s category swishrank desc -b $begin -m $page_size

The rank in the display will not make much sense, but you will get what you
want.

You can also limit results to a range of categories if you really want to:

     -L category 4 6

Although for a limited number of categories you would be better off just
saying:

     MetaNames category

     -w category=( 4 or 5 or 6 )

mailto:moseley@hank.org