HTML2 problem again

From: Rich Thomas <thomasr(at)not-real.buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:41:14 GMT
What's even more interesting is that there are only 45 lines....

I ran the URL through the HTML validator at www.htmlhelp.com.

Interestingly, it spits out the following:

Line 46, character 1:

Error: illegal character number 0

The fact that the validator doesn't mention any other errors (and it should

spit out MANY for this document) tells me it's not being read/processed

properly because of the NULL character at the end of the file. I assume

swish-e is having similar trouble, but I can't say for sure.

Is there any way you could remove that character and/or turn the document

into real HTML?

We're pulling data from a mainframe database and converting it into vanilla
html.  And unless I can identify the character I can't remove it.

> I seem to have some bad HTML but I can;t figure out what the problem is.

> The URL to the file is:

> ublin.lib.buffalo.edu/webcat/bibcat/E/E/A/0/003.html

I can't specifially say why swish-e is having a problem (although I have an

idea), but that file just barely resembles HTML; barely.

> In dir "/ublin/E/E/A/0/":

> 000.html - Using HTML2 parser - (170 words)

> 001.html - Using HTML2 parser - (122 words)

> 002.html - Using HTML2 parser - (148 words)

> 003.html

> It just sits at this spot for ever....

I ran the URL through the HTML validator at www.htmlhelp.com.

Interestingly, it spits out the following:

Line 46, character 1:

Error: illegal character number 0

The fact that the validator doesn't mention any other errors (and it should

spit out MANY for this document) tells me it's not being read/processed

properly because of the NULL character at the end of the file. I assume

swish-e is having similar trouble, but I can't say for sure.

Is there any way you could remove that character and/or turn the document

into real HTML?

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst Darryl.Friesen@usask.ca

Education & Research Technology Services, http://gollum.usask.ca/

Information Technology Services Division,

University of Saskatchewan

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"

to a plain text message.