Re: HTML2 problem

From: Darryl Friesen <Darryl.Friesen(at)not-real.usask.ca>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 20:25:43 GMT
> I seem to have some bad HTML but I can;t figure out what the problem is.

> The URL to the file is:
> ublin.lib.buffalo.edu/webcat/bibcat/E/E/A/0/003.html

I can't specifially say why swish-e is having a problem (although I have an
idea), but that file just barely resembles HTML; barely.

> In dir "/ublin/E/E/A/0/":
>   000.html - Using HTML2 parser -  (170 words)
>   001.html - Using HTML2 parser -  (122 words)
>   002.html - Using HTML2 parser -  (148 words)
>   003.html
> It just sits at this spot for ever....

I ran the URL through the HTML validator at www.htmlhelp.com.
Interestingly, it spits out the following:

    Line 46, character 1:
    Error: illegal character number 0

The fact that the validator doesn't mention any other errors (and it should
spit out MANY for this document) tells me it's not being read/processed
properly because of the NULL character at the end of the file.  I assume
swish-e is having similar trouble, but I can't say for sure.

Is there any way you could remove that character and/or turn the document
into real HTML?

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst    Darryl.Friesen@usask.ca
  Education & Research Technology Services,     http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Information Technology Services Division,
  University of Saskatchewan
  "Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"