Re: spider.pl error

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:04:10 GMT
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Rich Thomas wrote:

> While using spider.pl I get the following error.
>
> Use of uninitialized value at ./spider.pl line 504.
> Use of uninitialized value at ./spider.pl line 504
> etc....etc....
>
> line 504 is
> if ( $attr{ $_ } ) {  # ok tag
>
> The ONLY change made to spider.pl from the original is the perl path.
>
> # diff spider.pl /export/home/thomasr/swish-e-2.1-dev-25/prog-bin/spider.pl
> 1c1
> < #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> ---
> > #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
>
> Sooooo?

So, if you change perl binaries you are changing which library perl is
using.

I believe this is the exact error on the list a few days ago:

    http://swish-e.org/archive/3361.html
    http://swish-e.org/archive/3357.html
    (Search for Tagset)

My guess is that change in the perl path is using a different perl which
was compiled with a different library path: /usr/bin/perl -V and
/usr/local/bin/perl -V will show you.

Not sure about your setup, but this is how I install new modules in a
single command:

  perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::Tagset'

Or to see the full session:

~ # perl -MCPAN -e 'install HTML::Tagset'
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://cpan.nas.nasa.gov/pub/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://cpan.nas.nasa.gov/pub/perl/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Fetching with LWP:
  ftp://cpan.nas.nasa.gov/pub/perl/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
HTML::Tagset is up to date.

Or use the manual method of download, perl Makefile.PL && make test &&
make install.

Or set a "use lib" and point to your old perl library.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org