Re: pdf2html.pm and File::Temp.pm

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 20:01:52 GMT
At 10:34 AM 01/30/02 -0800, Gerald Klaas wrote:
>user supplied function #1 death '../src/spider.pl: Failed close on pipe to pdfin
>fo for /tmp/Gpcivvv24w: 256 at /app/swish/prog-bin/pdf2html.pm line 138.
>'
>---end snip---
>
>line 138 in pdf2html.pm is
>close $sym or die "$0: Failed close on pipe to pdfinfo for $file: $?";

Maybe I shouldn't throw such a big exception!

perldoc -f close will explain what's being returned from calling pdfinfo.  When you close() a pipe you get back the exit status of the piped program.  So, what that probably means is pdfinfo returned a non-zero exit status for the pdf file you are trying to convert.

Try running the pdfinfo on the file from the shell and look at its exit status and any possible error messages from pdfinfo.  I'd be interested in what it says.

So, for now you might just try replacing "or die" with "or warn" and that will let the code continue.

>On a possibly related issue, the pdf2html.pm is using File::Temp.pm
>I notice that my /tmp directory fills up with random name files during
>the spider.pl run, and then they're all deleted after the run completes.
>What can I change to remove the temp file as soon it's been fed to
>swish, rather than wait to the end of the spider run?

Boy, that could be a problem on something like SunOS where /tmp is virtual memory.

I'll just checked in a patch.  Let me know if you can't grab it from CVS or from sourceforge.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/swishe/swish-e/prog-bin/?sortby=date#dirlist

mailto:moseley@hank.org