Re: Running out of memory

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 14:35:02 GMT
At 05:18 AM 1/17/2002 -0800, Alex Lyons Wrote:

>> I'm trying to run swish-e on Solaris 8 with 128 meg of memory and
>> a huge swap file.  After lots of processing I got a Swish-e error
>> saying I was out of memory.  Does swish use swap by default or is
>> there a way to tell it to?
>
>If you're using the latest dev version, try -e (economy mode).  It uses
>less memory by shoving a load of stuff into files in /tmp.

The dev version now (for last few months?) uses environment settings to
determine the location of the temp files, (or the TmpDir config setting if
set).

>If /tmp is
>mounted on swap (usual for Solaris) this shouldn't make much difference
>to your overall index time, but it should remove the out of memory error
>- I don't know why!

If /tmp is tmpfs (virtual memory) then writing to /tmp will end up with the
same result, I'd think.  So if -e still runs out of memory then try
changing your temporary directory location to point to real disk space.

It's odd to get an out of memory error.  Does the machine have any swap
space allocated?

>If you're not using a recent dev version, get it!

That will make the biggest difference in memory usage and speed.

BTW -- add memory if possible.  128M is not that much these days (although
it's a was a lot less money six months ago.  :(

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org