Re: Running out of memory

From: Alex Lyons SercoAssurance-Winfrith Tel01305-202368 FAX01305-202194 <ajlyons(at)not-real.sercoassurance.com>
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 13:19:40 GMT
Rich,

> I'm trying to run swish-e on Solaris 8 with 128 meg of memory and
> a huge swap file.  After lots of processing I got a Swish-e error
> saying I was out of memory.  Does swish use swap by default or is
> there a way to tell it to?

If you're using the latest dev version, try -e (economy mode).  It uses
less memory by shoving a load of stuff into files in /tmp.  If /tmp is
mounted on swap (usual for Solaris) this shouldn't make much difference
to your overall index time, but it should remove the out of memory error
- I don't know why!

If you're not using a recent dev version, get it!

Alex.

privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If you
are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such
information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments are free
from viruses.

Serco Group plc. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2048608
Registered Office: Dolphin House, Windmill Road, Sunbury-on-Thames,
TW16 7HT, United Kingdom.