Re: HTTP method config

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 20:15:04 GMT
At 02:54 PM 01/16/02 -0500, David L Norris wrote:
>Seems like many people aren't reading the docs nor looking at the
>example config files.  What do you think about including 3 "template"
>config files with every directive commented out?  One for each file
>access method: fs, prog, http.  Minimal documentation comments in the
>templates to (hopefully) force the user to read the manuals.

No.  Please no.

Here's why:

1) there would be four places to try to keep the docs up to date

2) there used to be a default config file, and everyone used it even if
they didn't need it.

3) people post their config file to the list and say HELP!  When that
happens I often miss problems in the config file

4) swish should work ok without a config file in many cases, so a config
file should be used to customize it to your own needs.

5) If someone is having a problem and posts a three line config file then I
can easily try it out and offer help.

6) It's too easy to start using a config option when it's right there in
the config file.  I'd rather someone find the config option to solve their
problem from the documentation.

>Which is what has me puzzled.  This config file has FS method directives
>but an HTTP IndexDir.  It seems to me one of these directives should
>have given an error.

Which config file?

Not all config options have been moved to individual modules (fs, http,
prog), so although they may work only for one method, they don't give an
error when used for the wrong method -- but they are just ignored.

Again, are you talking about something specific?

>I suppose that prog could get around any problems provided the program
>was sufficiently smart.
>
>>    Document-Type: HTML2
>
>Now, that would be rather useful knowledge.

Oh, it is documented:

http://swish-e.org/2.2/docs/SWISH-RUN.html

"The external program must pass to swish the Path-Name: and Content-Length:
headers. The optional Last-Mtime: parameter is the last modification time
of the file, and must be a time stamp (seconds since the epoch on your
platform). You may override swish's determination of document type
(Indexcontents) by using the Document-Type: header."

Ok, so that's not exactly a lot of documentation...

mailto:moseley@hank.org