Re: Electronic Data Management System

From: Panos Adam <padam(at)not-real.otenet.gr>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 18:43:40 GMT
Hi Bill and thanks for the answer.

The situation I am facing is this:

a) An employee  has to scan quite a few articles from the daily press and
store them somewhere.
My idea was to have them in pdf format instead of going in OCR and have them
stored either as plain text or html pages.
But I really do not care as long as I have a fast machine response when I
search for something. What would it be the format that suits best?

b) Use of the SWISH software package by another employee as the retrieval
tool and here are some other questions:
- How true the SWISH search results are given that it is a common problem
among search engines to have tons of resulting pages but only few true
matches? In other words how smart can it be? Is there any tuning method?
- Can SWISH generate an alphabetical site map (index) ?
- Can I change easily all the English screen titles to Greek? (should i have
a developer's version for doing this?)

c) I am thinking of having my data simply stored in folders. Do you think
that storing them in a data base (SQL maybe) would be better?

d) Can I launch the SWISH-E application through ASP scripts?

Thank you

Panos Adam