Searching with meta tags ---> can't make it happen

From: Rick Ciaccio <rick(at)not-real.mesagroup.com>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 06:53:20 GMT
Ok, here's a lasp gasp before I abandon Swish-e...

I have screwed with v2.05 for over a week on this and I cannot get Swish-e  to
index my pages without grabbing all the data in my meta tags. Why the default
is to index everything in an HTML doc is beyond me. I keep hearing "upgrade to
2.1"... well, I have 2.05 running on 54 Virtual Servers.

The test URL is:

	http://www.romanoskyphoto.com/html/page_notfound.html

This is what I have done in this latest round:

1. Put the following meta tag in a group of pages:

	<META NAME="keyName" CONTENT="word, word, etc.">

2. In the config.h  file I set the following directive:

	#define OKNOMETA 1
	/* Switch that define if it is ok to fail in case the META name is not listed
	** in the METANAMES variable. Value of 1 will cause the word to be listed as a
	** regular words with no metaName attached
	*/

3. Added the following directive (which wasn't present in config.h) at Bill
Moseley's suggestion:

	#define REQMETANAME 1
	/* Set to 1 to not index any Meta tag contents unless the tag name is
	** listed in the MetaNames parameter. Set to 0 and with OKNOMETA set 1
	** Swish will place META contents in index with no metaName attached.
	** 10/11/99 Bill Moseley
	*/

4. Recompiled

5. Added the following to my site.conf file:

	MetaNames keyName
	# MetaNames first author
	# List of all the meta names used in the file to index, must be on one line.
	# If no metanames DO NOT deleted the line.

6. Indexed site using the following command:

	./swish-e -c site.conf

Well... all this did absolutely nothing. Every page in the site comes up using
a search keyword that exists in the "keywords" meta tag.

Then I changed step 2 to:

	#define OKNOMETA 0
	/* Switch that define if it is ok to fail in case the META name is not listed
	** in the METANAMES variable. Value of 1 will cause the word to be listed as a
	** regular words with no metaName attached
	*/

and recompiled and reindexed using the same command in step 6, I get this:

	romanoskyphoto% ./swish-e -c site.conf
	Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
	swish: Couldn't open the configuration file "site.conf".

Here is a simple test page with the search HTML:

	http://www.romanoskyphoto.com/search_test.htm

If anyone sees something here that is wrong and has any suggestions, PLEASE let
me know... I would rather not hear "upgrade", it is not an option on 54
servers.

Thank you...

Rick