Re: Searching with Meta Tags > ready to give up

From: Rick Ciaccio <rick(at)not-real.mesagroup.com>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 09:43:47 GMT
> At 01:42 PM 12/11/01 -0800, Rick Ciaccio wrote:
> >I have been using Swish for years and I like it... I do have a serious
> problem
> >though with the manual, I am not a programmer and when I need to set up
> >something outside general searching, it has me spinning trying to make
> sense of
> >things.
>
> Any input you can provide would be great.  I barely have time to write any
> code, let alone documentation.  I doubt I ever ran a spell checker on the
> docs.  And I'm a rotten writer, so any help would be more than useful.  You
> don't need to be a programmer to help with swish-e development.
>
> >I have spent hours trying to block inclusion of meta tags in my searches,
> >nothing works. I used the command "./swish-e -c site.conf -t keyname" to
> >compile my search index, where "keyname" is the meta tag I need to use for
> >indexing.
>
> Where in the docs does it say to use -t for indexing?  Please let me know
> if there's something in the docs that suggest that so it can be fixed.

This was something I read while combing through posts looking for a solution
on this issue.

> On http://swish-e.org/2.2/docs/SWISH-RUN.html it says:
>
> -t HBthec (context searching)
>         The -t option allows you to search for words that exist only in
>         specific HTML tags.
>
> Which doesn't sound anything like what you are describing.
>

> >I've added "keyname" to my "site.conf" file and it compiles fine, but it
> >includes all meta tags anyway. Here is a search string using the keyword
> >"waves":
> >
> >http://www.romanoskyphoto.com/cgi-
> >bin/search/site_search.pl?swishindex=%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fswish-
> >e%2Findex.site&maxresults=50&keywords=waves
> >
> >I get every dam page in the site because "waves" is in all the "Description"
> >meta tags. What am I missing? I am ready to look for another search script
> out
> >of frustration.
>
> Don't confuse the search script with swish.  Where did you find
> "site_search.pl"?

I rename scripts and adjust paths as needed to keep things logical.

> Anyway, what you need is
>
>     UndefinedMetaTags ignore

Ok, so I need this... where does it go? I added it to the config file and got
an error when indexing. I tried adding it to config.h and it wouldn't compile.
This is why I'm so frustrated with Swish, everything is vague... you have to be
a programmer to use it... there are no practical examples anywhere that non-
programmers can look to for a quick tutorial or setup to get the job done
without hours of experimantation.

Obviously I'm very frustrated here.