swish.cgi

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 20:44:03 GMT
Hi,

I'm thinking about spending a few hours (few, ya right) rewriting the CGI
script that is included with the distribution.  Now's the time for comments
or suggestions.

Currently there's two scripts.  The swish2.cgi script is the old swish.cgi
that got shot down because it has too many CPAN dependencies.  I don't want
to maintain two similar scripts.

Basically, I want to make it more modular, so that there's only one perl
script, but you can easily replace the code for generating output and for
highlighting search terms.  So the program can still run by itself, but I
also want it easy for people to use with their existing templating systems
(such as HTML::Template or Template-Toolkit) so that swish can be fully
integrated into sites.

I'm going to try to make the scripts work under windows, but I have yet to
find someone to show me how to write a CGI script in a safe way under windows.

If any current users of swish.cgi have comments or suggestions, please let
me know.  For example, currently, config is done right in the script, so
maybe that should be put elsewhere?

I'd love to see someone do PHP or Python or JSP examples, too.

Another thing I'd like to do (someday) is have the swish-e build process
build a little server, so that after make install you can start the server
which will listen to some port, and then all configuration, indexing, and
searching can be done via a web interface.  This is similar to the way
Inktomi works, I believe.

I could write this in Perl, but then there would probably be more CPAN
dependencies -- and if someone really wants a Web-based interface I doubt
they want to spend time installing modules.  Writing it in C would probably
be best, but that doesn't sound like much fun for me.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org