Re: Searching hangs thru cgi works on command line

From: Mohammed Ahmed <oklala(at)not-real.lycos.com>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 09:29:53 GMT

--

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 05:30:58
 Bill Moseley wrote:

>I would try the windows binary on the swish-e download page and see if that
>solves the problem.
Yeah, it does. I used the SWISH-E 2.1-dev-24 Win32 Self-Installer from David L Norris.

>I'd be interested if you think it runs much faster compared to the cygwin
>version.
$ time /cygdrive/d/'Program Files'/SWISH-E/swish-e -w attack or heart or hypertensi or cough -f read > /dev/null

real    0m0.110s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.020s
2. The cygwin version:
$ time /usr/local/bin/swish-e -w attack or heart or hypertensi or cough -f read > /dev/null

real    0m0.110s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m0.060s

Swish runtime reports the following
1. The windows binary (compiles by Microsoft compiler, I guess)
# SWISH format: 2.1-dev-24
# Search words: attack or heart or hypertensi or cough
# Number of hits: 363
# Search time: 0.000 seconds
# Run time: 0.000 seconds
2. The cygwin version
# SWISH format: 2.1-dev-24
# Search words: attack or heart or hypertensi or cough
# Number of hits: 363
# Search time: -0.000 seconds
# Run time: 0.010 seconds

I can't imagine why running as a CGI script would make swish hang, unless
>there's some type of weird i/o blocking happening.

Well, it showed ~100% CPU utilization by swish-e...
Would you have high CPU use at I/O block, I dont know?

And, Thanks for your help with my perl script.
><side topic>
..beyond me :)
</side topic>

-- Mohammed