Re: Newline sometimes ignored in TXT-parser?

From: Arne Georg Gleditsch <argggh(at)not-real.linpro.no>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 08:23:43 GMT
* Bill Moseley
> Ok.  I was just thinking that if you have a program that creates
> output designed to -S prog, why not just use -S prog to run that
> program.  No need for temporary intermediate file.  But you don't
> have to do it that way.

Oh, but I'm not using any temporary intermediate files.  I'm sorry if
that wasnt clear; I'm just using cat to read from stdin and write to
stdout.  It's all streamed, but as swish-e won't eat my stream from
its stdin, I'm having it spawn cat to do that instead.

It's not a big issue, really, it was just the assumptions I had to
make about swish-e internal behaviour that I felt were a bit gross.
If I can rely on those assumtions, I'm a happy camper.

> I don't think it touches stdin.  I does a popen and reads from the
> pipe.  It will close the pipe early if it detects an error, so you
> might see a SIGPIPE in the external program.

That shouldn't be a problem.

> Are you thinking about distributing files for indexing that are
> pre-formatted for -S prog input?

No, not really.

							Arne.