Re: Newline sometimes ignored in TXT-parser?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 13:28:26 GMT
At 05:12 AM 11/25/2001 -0800, Arne Georg Gleditsch wrote:

>  $ /home/argggh/src/ping/swish-e/src/swish-search -w 'Henderson'
>  # SWISH format: 2.1-dev-24
>  # Search words: Henderson
>  err: no results

You will need to send me the credits file you are using so I can duplicate it.

>I also have a small wish for the Swish-E developers: I'd love to be
>able to feed swish-e the file contents to index on stdin.  Just like
>"-S prog" really, just driven by the program gathering the file
>contents, not by swish-e.  As of now I am kludging it by starting
>swish-e like this from my gatherer:
>
>  swish-e -S prog -i /bin/cat [..]

So you already have a file formatted as -S prog likes it, right?  I think
your cat method is fine, and you probably wouldn't gain any performance
from letting swish do the cat, and then the -S code wouldn't need to handle
a special case.

If you have a program generating -S prog-formatted data, why not have swish
call your program in the first place?

>and then feeding stdin of this process with the stuff to be indexed.
>This works, but it's a bit gross.

Actually, that's a fine use for -S prog.

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org