Re: SWISH-E digest 1018

From: Avi Rappoport <avi-list(at)not-real.searchtools.com>
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 07:59:24 GMT
At 10:44 AM -0800 11/17/01, Ted Bruyere wrote:
>Hi all, a question to ask, if it's already obvious and I've missed it, a
>link would be appreciated, I'm new to the software. <grin>
>
>I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to get a short synopsis (google-style)
>of the searched page in question, when there is no meta-tag information in
>the file being searched.

Actually, Google does not show a synopsis, but literally extracts
"snippets" of text from their cached version of each document,
showing the context of the matched terms.  The processing uses a lot
of disk i/o but the result is really good.

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
    <http://www.searchtools.com>